North Jersey Auto Show
the Restored Rusty Relics car show
at Bergen Community College (BCC) in Paramus
Due to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, we lost our venue and cannot hold the show on May 17. We are currently looking at rescheduling it for October but may need to wait until 2021. Questions? See our forum. Guests can post in the FAQ section.
See BCC’s COVID-19 status page. The County Executive, Jim Tedesco, has declared a health emergency. See the WHO’s COVID-19 page. The County has taken over the space we normally use for the show, for drive-through testing; there is no end date at this point. BCC is closed through March 27 at the earliest and cannot make any event reservations through to the end of the year.
The 42nd North Jersey Auto Show was slated for May 17, 2020 at Bergen Community College in Paramus, near Routes 4, 17, and 208. We expected hundreds of cars (we topped 400 last year) and seventy vendors selling car parts, clothing, collectibles, memorabilia, and food. The show runs from 8 am to around 3:40 pm. You asked, we listened! The winners’ parade will start earlier, and we have a new ice cream vendor.
Vendors must pre-register this year, due to insurance rules beyond our control. Also, canopies must be weighted down (at the bases of the poles).
This is a “classic car” show. It is only open to vehicles from model-year 1995 and earlier. Motorcycles, trucks, imports, and emergency vehicles are welcome! There are trivia contests with prizes, and a DJ playing music. Selected (not judged!) class winners will get trophies.
Our Paramus car show is at 400 Paramus Road; we will be in Bergen Community College’s Lot C (bear right at the entrance, following our signs). Spectators can visit for $5 per person — with a maximum $10 per carload (no buses or large vans). Proceeds benefit local charities and keep the show going.
The show is only open to vehicles from model-year 1995 and earlier. Motorcycles are welcome! There is free pre-registration for 1927 and older cars, and for 1995 cars, since it’s the first year of their antique status. The cost for showing a classic car, truck, or motorcycle on the day of the show is $20 per car ($15 for model-years 1928-1994, when pre-registered). Proceeds benefit local charities and keep the show going.
All pre-registered cars will get dash plaques, as will the first day-of-show show cars.
Online pre-registration is available before May 1, 2020 for show cars only (not vendors or spectators):
We may be able to reschedule but probably not until April. If this happens, we will provide information here. For the time being we have removed pre-registration materials.
Get show updates with the mailing list
If you sign up, we will let you know when pre-registration opens each year and send a reminder just before it closes. We only send around four to seven messages per year, and we don’t share or sell addresses.
About the trophies and parade
This event is not judged; awards are given to selected vehicles based on factors such as unique features, condition, restoration or ownership stories, rarity, or representating a significant step in automotive development or design. Winners cannot be owned by Restored Rusty Relics members; we try not to select winners from the past two North Jersey Auto Shows.
All vendors have to pre-register! (Update: we must hold off on any pre-registrations for now.)
Rules of particular interest to vendors (flea market/swap meet):
- For insurance reasons, all vendors must pre-register for the 2020 show—received by May 11. The rate is heavily discounted until May 1. If you're waiting for the weather report, hand-deliver your forms on May 11!
- You can reserve a specific spots if you had the same spot last year and register before May 1; after that, spots are first-come-first-serve.
- Hold-harmless forms are needed from all vendors, in advance; we are hoping these will be integrated with the registration forms for 2021.If you got our mailing, you should have the form.
- No unauthorized food or drink for sale—our food and drink vendors have exclusive rights.
- Flea market spaces are around 20’ x 20’
- Canopy or tent poles must be weighted down (sorry, no stakes).
- No running displays (including generators, except for pre-approved vendors—at this time, only the photographer and food vendors).
- Proof of liability insurance must be supplied upon request.
- Spaces must be cleaned up, with nothing left behind, no later than 3:40 pm on the show day.
2019 was the first time since leaving Upper Saddle River that we had a “trophy parade,” where spectators saw people drive across the show field to pick up their trophies. (It was also the first time at BCC that we separated the show field into classes.) We will do the same in 2020, but will have the parade earlier.
Selected cars and their owners gather before lining up for the parade
Lining up: around forty cars, one at a time
Car show rules
In addition to the vendor rules above
- No smoking
- We are not responsible for show cancellation or postponements due to acts of God (e.g. natural disasters), epidemics, pandemics, or College-mandated closures or cancellations. We will do the best we can to reschedule or move the event in these cases. We may, at our discretion, issue full or partial refunds, or apply pre-registration payments to the next show if this is the case.
- Parking is on paved areas only, no exceptions!
- Canopy poles must be weighted down (sorry, no stakes, even on the grass).
- No fires anywhere on show grounds
- Day-of-show registration: 8am - noon (or until sold out, whichever is sooner)
- Proof of liability insurance must be supplied upon request
- Main gate spectator admission: 8am - 2:00pm
- No motorized vehicles, bicycles, scooters, skateboards, etc.
- The property must be entirely clear by 3:40pm